Why You Should Hire a Water Damage Service
After sustaining any form of water damage to your home - if it's on a significantly large scale - you'll seriously want to consider hiring a water damage service. It can be tempting to try and repair everything yourself, but not only could this be dangerous, but you could also risk doing a poor job that doesn't sufficiently fix the problem.
A side from that, the cost of hiring such a service could also be covered by your insurance company, depending on your individual situation, so in that case there's really no reason not to use a professional. In this article we'll take a look at some of the ways a professional can help you, and why it can be a lot more effective than trying to do everything yourself:
They Have More Effective Equipment: When it comes to removing any water in your home and drying out any dampness, the equipment that a professional service uses will be a lot more effective at doing the job. Not only will they be able to fully remove any visible water and wet patches in your home, they'll also have special equipment that can detect moisture in walls that you just wouldn't know about by yourself. This can prove critical to the long term structure of your home, and even your health as you don't want mold building up that you aren't aware of.
They Can Fully Ensure The Problem Is Solved: A water damage professional will have the necessary skills and experience to ensure that the problem is fully solved for good. If you are to dry the dampness out yourself, everything may appear to be fine but there may be underlying problems that you aren't aware of. A professional service will be able to detect any underlying problems and ensure that the damage is repaired for good.
The Cost May Be Recouped From Insurance: Standard home insurance doesn't cover all events of water damage, but it will cover some forms. It depends on your individual situation. Generally, if the problem occurred entirely from something that was out of your control, then insurance will be able to help you out. There are exceptions though, such as flooding, which usually requires it's own separate insurance cover. For this you'll obvious need to consult with your own insurance provider, but it's definitely something you should look into. The cost of a good water damage service will be well worth it, so if an insurance payout is made, then all the more reason to go with one.
In conclusion, the benefits of using a good water damage service far outweigh the downsides. The aftermath of water damage is definitely not something to be taken lightly, as the after effects can result in substantial damage to your home or health. Find out what your local water damage service has to say about your situation and take it from there.
Article Source: https://EzineArticles.com/expert/James_O_Kirk/307773
Kitchen Fire Safety
Kitchens are a natural place for fires to start: you are already working with open flames or very high heat. Take extra precautions to prevent fires.
Preventing kitchen fires
The number one cause of kitchen fires is unattended cooking. When cooking anything on top of the stove, or in the oven, stay with it. For long-cooking dishes, plan activities you can do in the kitchen, such as cleaning or preparing other dishes. If "kitchen activities" don't come to mind, consider reading, writing, chatting with family or friends, or even reading a story to the kids. All of these can keep you happily and productively occupied while keeping an eye on what is being cooked.
If you cannot or don't want to stay in the kitchen:
- Check frequently on food that is cooking,
- Have a working smoke alarm installed where it can warn of potential fire.
- Keep a fire extinguisher within easy reach.
Kitchens can be very active places, especially when meals are being prepared. These basic tips can increase your safety:
- Wear short-sleeve, close fitting clothing when cooking. Loose clothing can more easily catch fire.
- Watch children closely in the kitchen. Teach them fire safety and proper handling of tools to prevent burns, cuts, or other injuries. Do this before you teach them to cook. Stay with children for every step as they are learning to cook. Reinforce and praise their safety skills.
- Grease can accumulate quickly in the kitchen. Grease fires can quickly spread to the entire kitchen. Clean your cooking surfaces and counters frequently to prevent food and grease build-up. Ideally this should be done immediately after cooking, or during clean-up after each meal.
- Keep flammable materials, such as curtains, towels, pot holders, plastic or paper bags, away form cooking surfaces.
- Store all solvents and flammable cleaners well away from all heat sources. Never keep gasoline or kerosene in the house, especially not in the kitchen.
- While cooking, make sure pan handles are turned away from the front of the stove so that no one will accidentally bump them. Boiling water or hot grease thrown from a jostled pan can cause severe burns. Keep the area in front of the stove clear and calm while cooking.
Putting out a fire
Even with the greatest care, you may someday have to put out a kitchen fire.
First, assess the danger. If the fire has spread beyond the oven or a pan, call the fire department right away. In most locations, you can call 911 and they will transfer you to the needed service.
If the fire is small and contained, as in food flaming in a pan, these tips may help:
- Slide a pan lid over a grease or oil fire to smother flames. Turn off the heat. Watch carefully to make sure the fire is not spreading somewhere unexpected. Leave the lid in place until it cools. Once the fire is completely out and everything is cool, thoroughly clean everything that was involved in the fire, especially the stove top or oven. If the flame got outside of a pan, you will need to decide whether there was any damage that must be repaired before you can cook again. Caution: Never attempt to carry a flaming pan outside. Doing this increases your risk of spreading the fire and of being burned.
- Keep a large box of baking soda on hand. Aside from its other uses, you can pour baking soda over most small food fires to extinguish the flames.
- Never use water or flour to put out fires. Water added to a grease fire reacts violently, sending hot grease everywhere. This spreads the fire and increases your chance of being burned. Flour can have a similar effect. Water poured on flames can also get into electrical circuits in the stove or oven, which can complicate the situation and increase the danger.
- If a fire occurs in your oven, keep the door shut and turn off the heat. This will usually smother the flames without further risk.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen. There are several types of extinguishers, each designed for use with specific kinds of fire. Make sure you have the right kind; one that can put out grease-based fires most often found.
How Can Professional Services Help With Water Damage Repair
Water damage, no matter how minor and unnoticeable, can be equally damaging to your house as something as severe as floods. Any damage caused to your belongings due to water absorption needs immediate attention and in most cases mold removal needs professional help. Even if the water penetration is the result of an unnoticeable water spot, it can cause substantial damage to your property. Some of the significant signs for mold remediation include mold growth, peeling paint, bad odor and moisture on carpets and other furniture.
Water damage does not necessarily have to be visible and overwhelming. Hence, it is important for you to know how to detect water absorption and where to look for it. Some of the common places you are likely to find initial signs of water damage are:
Firstly, the roof of your house, which is subject to wear and tear due to various reasons like weather extremities, continuous hitting from tree branches, old or poor-quality roof tiling etc. Water dripping down any part of the roof is a sign of mold remediation.
Secondly, water can penetrate through doors and windows, in case they are not installed properly, and cause considerable mold repair. Moreover, water intrusion can also damage the insulation system within your house. Notice your doors and windows carefully during rainfall and other weather changes for possible signs of mold damage.
Thirdly, blocked or overflowing gutters and drains can be a substantial cause of water damage in your house. During heavy rainfall, if the gutters are clogged, it fails to send down the water flowing from the roofs, resulting in a large amount of water accumulating near the base of your house. Such accumulations are harmful for the foundation of the house, causing moisture to penetrate into your house.
Fourthly, appliances like washing machines, dishwashers, dryers, refrigerators, etc. should be regularly checked and regulated for proper maintenance and prevention of possible leakages, which might be a cause of water damage.
Lastly, water damage can also be caused by factors as serious as sewage overflow and flood.
Whatever may be the cause of these damages, and however minor or severe their projections may be, they need to be taken care of as soon as they attack. The best way to deal with this problem is to contact experienced mold remediation repair services on an immediate basis. Expert services have the necessary experience and knowledge to solve your mold damage problems through required equipment and expertise. The tools they use for helping with water damage are:
- Measuring equipment like hygrometers and moisture detectors to identify the exact level of mold remediation caused.
- Sensors like infrared camera to detect water penetration even in remote corners, where mold retention can cause substantial damage.
- Highly powerful gas-pumps to pump out high levels of water.
- High-quality Dehumidifiers for adequate drying of the area or objects.
- Superior products for deodorizing and disinfecting the affected location or objects.
These professional services are reliable and available at your service 24 hours and 7 days a week. They are quick to reach you within about an hour, which is extremely important during periods of emergency.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/8335593
Water Damage Repairs: Securing Your Home From Impending and Immediate Risks
Water damage repairs are necessary to ensure that the structure of the house is safeguarded and protected from deterioration. As we all know, Water damage is a big concern for many homeowners. It is a form of loss that results from the intrusion of water across specific areas or an entire level of the property. The damage can be minor and progressive and it could also be catastrophic with instant results. The damage is a big contributor to the loss of property value. Flooding, rainfall and stagnant water can result to a number of risks like the weakening of the soil foundation, damage to home interiors, electrical devices, rotting and others. Any homeowner should aim to minimize the risks and prevent future damage. This is critical to keep the home safe and maintain its market value.
Risks levels caused by water damage
Water damage repairs can address a number of risks. There are several kinds of damage caused by water. The first level is due to clear water. It could be broken pipes or water spots. The second level is caused by gray water that could be filled with contaminants. It could be sewage water, or failure of water dependent devices to discharge the water out. Lastly, there is damage caused by black water that could be caused by catastrophic events and could be difficult to fix.
Is it safe to go DIY?
When considering water damage repairs, there are some conditions that can be addressed simply by DIY methods. If the damage has not seeped through various systems across the home and can be mitigated by simple repairs, then it might be relevant to do it yourself. However, most water damage shows symptoms when the condition it is already widespread. Plywood and other wooden structures that have been moistened by leaking pipes, ice dams or broken roofs can lead to build up of mold and mildew, causing illness. Such problems can lead to multiple structural and health concerns. Therefore, fast and immediate action is necessary for any homeowner.
Getting a restoration contractor
A restoration service is most beneficial for homes with massive and instantaneous damage like plumbing issues, sewage problems, flooding, hurricane damage and other events that could last more than 24 hours. These particular damages can make the home uninhabitable. It could also lead to health risks due to the growth of microorganisms. Such damages need to be addressed by experts since it is not just on the surface where the problem can settle. The foundation of the house can experience damage as well. Hence, for most damage cause by water, it would be best to have the help of an expert in dealing with them.
Water-related damage has always been a big concern for many homeowners and to address both mild and severe issues, getting the help from restoration services can be critical to:
- find out the extent of the risk using state of the art equipment
- make the room/home habitable again
- protect your family from microorganisms that are present in stagnant, dirty water
- safeguard the goods such as furniture or electronics from risks
- Keep interiors and exteriors in top shape after the damage.
Damages incurred from water can be devastating. It is important to do something about it fast and effectively. With minor or large scale damage, it would be best to get advice from expert doing water damage repairs to ensure a home that is dry and safe from future risks that could happen. Investing on quality restoration service is then necessary for any homeowner as it will make sure that their homes are secure at all times.
Copyright 2011 water-damage-guide.com, all rights reserved
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6313089
Storm Damage: Tips to Making It Through a Storm
We have been having some major storms lately. Tornadoes, hurricanes and torrential rains have been wreaking havoc throughout the United States. It is important to be as prepared as possible if a storm is coming your way. This means different things depending on the areas in which you live. Also, storm damage varies from location to location. Weather extremes make storm damage nearly impossible to predict. Lightning, wind, ice, floods, rain, extreme cold and heat can cause all types of damage to your home.
When a storm hits it is best to be prepared. Here are some tips to help you maximize safety and minimize the inconvenience storms and storm damage can bring to your life.
1) Have flashlights with spare batteries in a location that is easy to access. Avoid candles if at all possible. It is easier than many homeowners think to leave a candle lit and have fire ravage through your house. Storm damage creates a mess but fire damage creates an environment where the effects are long lasting.
2) Purchase extra bottled water and canned foods. This will create less havoc for you encase of a long lasting power outage. It is important that you have extra water to cook with as well as to drink.
3) Use surge protectors on all major appliances. They will help eliminate the surge from entering these valuable pieces of equipment rendering them useless. If you do not have surge protection and you have fair warning a storm is headed your way unplug all major appliances and electronics.
4) Make sure you have a battery operated radio. It should be on and tuned in to a local station for regular updates.
5) If you go out after a storm has hit you area make sure to avoid down power lines. They are still full of energy and will shock you.
6) If your lights blow during a storm double check your fuse breaker box make sure that you have not just blown the fuses by asking neighbors if their power is out also. If it is the power call the electric company to make sure they are aware of the outage.
7) It is important if your power is out to conserve the energy left in your freezer and refrigerator. You can do this by limiting the times you open and close them. Dry ice is also available for purchase at local groceries if you are able to get out.
8) Of course if the power outage comes at a time of extreme cold you can store food in a cooler outside.
9) In cold weather you will want to make sure that you leave the water dripping to avoid pipes from freezing.
10) Warm clothes should be worn. Use caution with fireplaces and never use flammable liquids to start a fire. It is also important that you never use a gas stove to heat your home. This practice is unsafe and can result in more damage.
11) It is important that if storm damage occurs and you are without power that you use care and caution in running generators.
It is important to note that after a storm you should immediately restock your emergency supplies. It is likely that the season of storms is upon you and that it won't be the last one through your area. Storm damage cannot be prevented but it can be managed. Your reaction in the situation will likely determine how well you cope with the difficulties that come along with the aftermath of storm damage.
If you have enjoyed this article from Kevin Germain at CPS please visit http://www.gomaher.com/damage_storm.php today where you will find useful information on storm damage restoration.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6323592
SERVPRO 24-hour Emergency Service
Choosing the right company if you have experienced a water, fire, or mold damage can be one of the most important choices you make. After helping many disaster victims, SERVPRO of Napa County has the expertise, facilities, and equipment to help you resolve your emergency fast. Our team of professionals technicians are certified, bonded and insured -- not to mentioned trained to help you get your property back to its original state as soon as possible.
As the trusted leader in the restoration industry, SERVPRO provides 24-hour emergency help and is dedicated to being faster to any size disaster. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
Call us SERVPRO of Napa County today for more information 707-226-2181.
Why You Should Hire Professionals for Your Fire Damage Repair
As a homeowner, there are few things that are worse than being hit by a fire. The damage that can be caused by a flood or other disasters are less when compared with that caused by fires. With other forms of disasters you can still do some repair, but with a fire the damage could be total, even if you are lucky enough to escape with your life.
Even if the fire that affected you was not a full blown one, the damage and trouble that it could cause can still be substantial. It is also not easy to repair the damage that it can cause. It presents some complications that makes handling it rather difficult.
Why Fire Damage is Difficult to Take Care of- As mentioned, a fire causes some damage that are particularly tricky to take care of. It might burn just a portion of a room, but the repair would have to involve the whole place. The smoke could also cause grime to appear on the walls and the ceiling, which could render the place a total waste.
Making use of ordinary cleaning methods will not work in removing the marks from the fire and the smoke. Leaving parts of the house that were only partially damaged by the fire can also be dangerous, since you can no longer trust its strength.
DIY Fire Damage Repair- Still, there are those who insist that they can handle the repair of the damage caused by a fire in their homes on their own. If you feel confident that you can handle it on your own, and that you have enough skill and knowledge, then go ahead and clean up your own place.
Professional for Fire Damage Repair- There is a special type of contractor that specializes in handling damages from fires and other disasters. If you are thinking of hiring someone to take care of the fire damage in your home then these specialists are the ones to go for.
Fire and Water Damage- It is not only the fire that causes the damage during a fire. The water used by the firemen to put it out can cause damage to your property and the house itself. The water can cause mold build-up which is something that you should avoid at all costs and professionals would need to have the right equipment to take care of that.
Safety- Another reason why it is beneficial for you to hire professional fire damage cleaners is your safety. When you do your own cleaning and repair on a fire damaged house you might be unable to assess if the place is already safe and you could be putting yourself in harm's way. Contractors would be able to assess the condition of a building based on their knowledge and experience.
These are just some of the reasons why you should go for hiring a contractor in order to do fire damage repair. The good news is that there are many contractors offering this type of service now. You should be careful about signing with just anyone because you have to be sure about the service that they could provide first.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7279682
Addressing Fire Damage - Simple Tips To Do To Clean Up After a Fire
Fire damage is undeniably one of the most dreaded problems that could be experienced by any household. It is devastating, destructive, and it leaves marks that will remind you of the fateful events. For someone who experienced fire, the safety of family and pets comes first before your personal belongings. However, fixing smoke, fire damage together with water damage is a reality that you have to deal with once the whole estate has been put off from the smoldering disaster. In such situations of damage cause be fires be it a small incident or a catastrophe, it is important to know the ways to address the problem. It could be wise to get a contractor to do the task for you but for small and isolated problems, it is also important to know what to do to dry out the place, remove the fumes and restore the area to its regular self.
Before making any clean up on the affected area, be sure that the fire marshal has already given you a go signal to enter the premises. The firemen should put off all fires, even burning ash can be a reason for new fires. You might want to call your insurance company also while on the waiting stage in order to have your damage assessed and see how much the coverage will be for the damage incurred on your property. Do not move anything until the insurance people are able to take pictures to serve as evidence. If you remove something or misplace anything, it might lower the appraisal value. Check also the electrical wiring. You can hire an electrical contractor to check the wires, outlets and switches if they were affected by the fire.
If you are ready to address the fire damage, get started by wearing safety products like gloves and masks. Open the windows to let the smell out and let the fresh air in. take out all items that could result to mildew build up. For the water damage, if the damage is really very minimal like the stove top only or the cabinet, use a clean, absorbent mop or cloth to dry out the excess water. If the damage is too much for a cloth use a wet vac to suck all the water effectively. Since the smoke and fire can cause they are to smell, disinfect the area.
Clothing, drapes and carpets
Smoke can leave spots on fabric and it could leave nasty odors. Take them all out and wash them with a strong detergent. This will help in removing the odors. Anything that has been burned can be thrown away.
Washing the house off
While the place is still wet, take advantage of the moisture and wash the walls with a very mild soap. This is an important method to prevent the buildup of mold and mildew. Once the whole area has been cleaned but still is mildly wet, use an air blower to dry it out fast. If you have a dehumidifier, set up the equipment to the right humidity levels and let it take the extra moisture. This will also prevent the formation of mold and mildew.
Fixing fire damage is a very serious and rigorous task but you can still do on your own if you wanted to but be sure to do it fast so that microorganisms will not thrive. It might also be necessary to get a fire and water damage restorer to recover the house in no time, make it fresh smelling again and minimize the spots that remind you of that fateful moment.
Copyright 2011 water-damage-guide.com, all rights reserved.
Mark is the editor Water-damage-guide.com which Provides you with news, tips and articles on all kinds of water damage restoration services. For more info about Fire water damage or Water damage Repairs please check our website.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6130558
Use The Services Of A Fire Restoration Company
After a loss or damage, we understand you don't have time to worry about the common wear and tear that gradually soils your home. When grime, odor, and moisture challenges go beyond the scope of your expertise, call us. Whether it's removing an odor problem or deep cleaning flooring or carpets, you can rely on SERVPRO of Napa County to make your home look it's very best.
We have highly trained technicians ready to restore the damages to your home, so you can rest at ease. SERVPRO of Napa County will get the job done right and get it done quickly because the SERVPRO Advantage includes:
- Award-winning training
- 40 years' experience in the industry
- 24-hour emergency service
- More than 100 exclusive cleaning products
For a prompt response, quality cleaning and restoration, give us a call at 707-226-2181 and leave the dirty work to us.
Here to Help ®
There's never a convenient time for fire or water damage to strike your business. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. When an emergency arises in your business, give us a call and we'll be there fast with the help you need. The first step to reopening your doors is just a telephone call away.
SERVPRO of Napa County professionals are available 24-hours a day and have the expertise, training, and equipment required to put you back in business. Our technicians are highly trained and are ready for dispatch to restore your business. Whether you need your business cleaned up or dried out, SERVPRO of Napa County Professional will be there to help make it “Like it never even happened.” Call us today 707-226-2181.